Monday, July 7, 2008

Dilemma

My best friend from college is getting married next May in Zihuatanejo, Mexico, and I have been SO excited for multiple reasons. One, Tammy is going to be a beautiful bride, and I am SOOOO thrilled for her and Justin. Two, what an amazing place to get married?? And three, what a perfect time for Eric and I to get away just the two of us...I won't be pregnant or breastfeeding, we have amazing parents who can watch the boys, Eric has a little more choice with his vacation time here (not so much at Vandy unless you knew a year and a half in advance...), etc. I thought we could head up there a little early (or stay after), and enjoy just being us again without having to think about diapers, sippy cups, feeding/nap times, what to wear times three, what to bring to dinner/on the plane/in the car/etc. to entertain our young ones....etc.


Well...Eric and I were talking about it this morning and I mentioned the date again...May 23rd. Pause. Here's where the dilemma comes in and it surprisingly did not even cross my mind before now. That, my friends, is Memorial Day weekend...aka Indy weekend (for the Indy 500). For those who know my husband, you know what that means. Many of you who don't know him may be thinking, what's the big deal? (Others still haven't figured out what the Indy 500 is, nor do they care.) You may be saying, it's just an Indy car race...aren't there other Indy races he can go to? It's not quite like that. It's not JUST the Indy 500 that makes this weekend so special. This is HIS weekend. The one weekend a year for which he truly gets as excited as a teenage girl at a Justin Timberlake concert (wait...really any girl at a JT concert...) I'm not kidding...on the days leading up to Indy, Eric has a constant smile on his face. It honestly makes me happy to see how excited he gets.


It all started when he was 11. He went with his dad. At age 14, he went again and hasn't missed one since. For many years now, his friends have gone as well (friends from childhood and college) and it has evolved into a VERY detailed affair (no time to give you all the details.) It is the ultimate guys weekend, full of camping, sports, grilling out, consuming a few beverages, and not once stopping to take a shower. (He smells real nice when he gets home...a lovely blend of sweat, sunscreen, and beer.)


We plan our May around Indy weekend. In fact, we knew not to get pregnant in August/September in order to avoid a May/June birthdate. We didn't want our child's birthday party competing with Indy weekend every year. :) It's a BIG deal. Something I've never questioned nor complained about. I know how important it is to him.


So, that brings us to the dilemma...Mexican vacation or Indy 500? He hasn't said no...I haven't asked. We may not talk about it anytime soon...


For now, I'm still planning to go. I wouldn't miss it! Anyone up for a girls' weekend in romantic Zihuatanejo, Mexico?? :) I may need a plus 1.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

you are a MUCH MUCH nicer wife than I am. I do complain- every year. Want my vote? Eric can miss one year to go to Tammy's wedding- someone who has been super important in your life. I mean you have made one or 2 sacrifices for him over the last few years :-) That being said..I do know how much he loves to be there and how much he needs the break...but drinks on the beach with your wife?? come on....

The Gilles Family said...

I'm sorry. I completely missed reading the final paragraph because I was busy airing out my bathing suit, and packing my sombrero. I'm volunteering as your Plus One. :D

I hope you guys work out a good compromise! Viva Mexico!

George and Laurie said...

Can I give Alyson a little competition for being your "plus 1" friend? Or...maybe you'd be willing to bring two? I could wean baby number two early... :)

Dunhams said...

My vote is Mexico definitely!!! I still just can't understand the appeal of Indy weekend :) But if Eric still decides to go... I think there would be a large (husbandless for the weekend because of Indy) group of girls up for a beach vaca!

Mandy said...

Hilarious, hilarious, hilarious. Go to Mexico!!

Meredith said...

My vote is Mexico! Who can pass up sand, sun, and drinks in hand?

I love reading your blog! I laugh at every post. I'm so jealous that you guys live so close to the beach that you can just go there on a whim!

Teresa said...

I say everyone can follow you and your hubby to Zihuatanejo...hubby and friends can enjoy Indy on a HUGE, BIG flat screen followed by an unending beach bonfire...you and friends get to attend a beautiful wedding in romantic Mexico! Win-win!

Brooke said...

I am so totally up for a weekend in Mexico! As you know, Wes will be with Eric that weekend. Ah the joys of being an Indy Widow. I do think that only a death, birth or family emergency would stop Wes from going every year. Sadly, I don't know if best friend's wedding would qualify. Plus, it would be very special to celebrate with Tammy!